Cap City Half Marathon

Holy Humidity!!!  You can tell summer is already here with the mugginess that’s decided to take over the state of Ohio.  Today was the Cap City Half Marathon that took over downtown Columbus (if you’re into politics, it was also the day that President Obama decided like a week ago that he’d pay a visit to Columbus).

The past two weeks, I’ve been rotating in Cuyahoga Falls, OH (right next door to Akron), so my parents have seen me a few times more than usual in the typical year.  To boot, I’ve been on anesthesia, which means of there’s no cases, I don’t have to be at work so I’ve been getting done at like 2 every day at the latest.  Thursday, I was out by like 11 (my attending said I’d have to pace myself), so after a run, I headed down to Columbus.  I figured I’d pick up my stuff at the expo and a bunch of my mom’s internet running friends were coming in for the race, so I figured perfect opportunity for Greek food at Gresso’s on High Street.  After another drive up and back to work Thursday night and Friday afternoon after work, I met up with my mom at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Columbus.  Since we live about 45-60 minutes from Columbus, we figured we’d stay by the start/finish with people who came in just  to get more sleep.  On Friday, a group of 20 of us headed to Due Amici’s to do some Carb loading.  We had bags for all of our out of towners that included home made buckeyes, real buckeyes, water, Cheryl’s Cookies and an OSU bag (which isn’t so exciting if you’re a UMiami fan and still upset about the 2002 National Championship Game).  After some pasta, we headed back to the hotel and had clothes laid out, bibs pinned on shirts and relaxation before hitting the sack.

At 6:15, my alarm went off and I wanted to throw my phone against the wall.  Since everyone else wanted a team picture, that means I had to get up too and be there even though the race didn’t start until 8 AM.  Around 6:45, we met in the lobby for the Mom’s on the Run (MOTR) Runvention photo. Disclaimer, I’m highly single and by no means a mother.  I’m in the group by default since I technically started the Run with Joyce (RWJ) club back during by Freshman year of high school.  Anyways, the start was close to the hotel, but first we tried to get an official Cap City Half picture.  I snuck out early since I was the official bag checker (read, we were using my bib number to check a bag for anyone who wanted anything checked since I’d be one of the first done) and I wanted to make sure I had time to get to the start and all that fun stuff.  It was humid and muggy, yet cloudy once we got outside, making me think it was going to be rough.  After all the pre race bathroom routines and following the crowds of people to the start, I squeezed through an opening in a fence to the B corral.  The National Anthem was played and the A Corral was off at 8 AM.  At 8:07, I was off with the front of the B corral.  Don’t know how I was in front, but it definitely left me discombobulated because I was trying to keep pace groups in front of me.  Around mile 1, I stopped for a pit stop (my only bathroom break during the run).  After I passed the mile marker, I was messing with my head trying to figure out my pace.  The first 5K wasn’t bad, but the humidity started affecting me around mile 4 or so.  You can deal with so much mugginess in the air before it starts to mess with you.  There were parts of the race where I was straight up cold despite sweating buckets.  I hit the 6 mile mark in 57:33 (not bad) and continued chugging on while people were reaching over and around me at water stops.  The second half of the race, you could see the humidity getting to people.  People were on the side of the course stretching out cramps or passed out to the point of needing medical attention (my mom saw someone at mile 12 with an IV in crying and looking at her Garmin).  Every once in awhile, we’d get a gust of wind which felt good. Come mile 10, I was with the 2:05 pace group and hung with them for a bit (not really a fan of using the pace groups, but that’s just me).  By the time mile 12 came along, I just wanted to be done.  We hit the last aid station and I started looking for the finish, which of course, was on a hill.  Once I was close, I started my usual picking people off and then was out of any sort of energy.  I could hear the announcer saying something about someone military coming through and I slowed down to try and let them pass me but it didn’t work.  Once I finished, I felt like I wanted to get sick.  Nausea and cold don’t go well together and they had no post race wraps 😦

As I walked out, I grabbed some water and bagels before heading to pick up my bag and to meet up with the rest of the group.  I was one of the first 3 to finish so I had to wait awhile for everyone to finish.  My mom PR’ed by 7 minutes (woot!) and my dad ran on an hour of sleep (what’s with those babies??).  The last MOTR member finished in under 2:55 .  We took an ‘after’ group shot, one of which included the Clipper’s mascot Lu Seal and saw Stinger from the CBJ skating around.  After some champagne, we headed for showers at the hotel (I was squeezing my shorts out that’s how sweaty and soaked they were).  I finished in 2:07:59, 21 seconds slower than the St. Luke’s Half on Sunday.  At least I’m accurate right?  We went after cleaning up to The North Market (if only there were hamburgers) and enjoyed some pretty good food. Now, if I can sleep well tonight, that’ll be icing on the cake

About drrunner
8 time marathoner, 65 ish time 1/2 marathoner with a bucket list item to hit all 50 states. BibRave Pro, Doctor and a mix of insanity

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Daddy, Did You Win?

Juggling being a husband, a father, work, and running


Follow my journey in running, hiking, biking, and the outdoors!

Out Running

outrunning our goals together


Eating Plants and Running the 50 States

Mom in the Mtns

The adventures of a mom (and her wild child) in the mountains of Alaska

Angie Runs

3.1 - 6.2 - 13.1 - 26.2 - 50k

for the love of nike

tales from a conflicted sneakerhead

The Fit Wanderer.

forever wandering

Keny'inz 2012

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." Matthew 5:6

the fight and flight response

running through the wall, one goal at a time

Simple Speedy Snacks

Recipes and stories about snacking


Just another site

Run The Long Road

hard work, determination, and a little luck...

%d bloggers like this: